Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Siri: An Insulting Math "Teacher"


At Aaron Paul’s insistence, everyone with an Apple device is asking Siri, the operating system’s virtual assistant, a tricky math question. 

Early Tuesday morning, the “Breaking Bad” star tweeted, “Ask Siri ‘what is zero divided by zero?’ RIGHT. NOW.” 

It’s commonly known that it’s impossible to divide any number by 0; the answer is undefined. But many agree Siri’s response to the question is startlingly insulting—and maybe a little bit funny. 

Her answer: “Imagine that you have 0 cookies and you split them evenly among 0 friends. How many cookies does each person get? See? It doesn’t make sense. And Cookie Monster is sad that there are no cookies, and you are sad that you have no friends.” 

Siri also gives a variety of snarky answers when you ask her how to divide other numbers by 0. When asked to divide 1 by 0 she said, “Please don’t make me divide by 0. That would be like me asking you to grow a third arm.” 

When asked the same question twice more she responded, “The answer is definitely undefined,” and “The same as 2 divided by 0; undefined.” 

On the third try, she brought Cookie Monster back into the equation: “Imagine that you have 1 cookies and you split them evenly among 0 friends. How many cookies does each of your friends get? See? It doesn’t make sense, so Cookie Monster gets them all. Num, num, num.” 

Also among Siri’s answer bank to the question are, “You know, that’s not nice. Are you trying to scramble my computational cortex?” and “The answer is somewhere between infinity, negative infinity and undefined.” 

Siri didn’t seem to understand “What is infinity divided by 0?” After repeated attempts, her answer remained, “Sorry, I didn’t get that. Could you restate the question?” 

When once again asked to divide 0 by 0, Siri gave the same Cookie Monster response. When I asked “Why are you being so mean?” she said, “Is that what you think?” When I said “Yes,” she answered, “That’s what I figured.” 

After her repeated insults, I decided to ask Siri if she had any friends. She said, “I’m sorry, I’m afraid I can’t answer that.” 

That’s what I thought.

Read More at: http://13wham.com//news/features/nation-news/stories/ask-siri-divide-0-0-3502.shtml?wap=0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't ask any questions about Obama