Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Two Injured Working At Athena


Contractor & District Employee 
Both Burned By Transformer


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The contractor illegally cut the lock off of the transformer box so he could check to see if a wire was live. He found out the hard way it was. His arms were severly burned and so was his chest. His arms were burned so bad you could see bone. He was brought inside the loading dock and doused with water and ice until the ambulance arrived. The district worker has burns on his face but not as bad as the other guy. He was standing off to the side watching the contractor. I work at Athena but was not there when it happened. I was told this when I got to work by the employees that were there. They were both taken to the strong burn unit.

SCATS said...

To 12:44AM ~~ OMG that's horrible!! It's also quite a bit different than the news that their injuries aren't "life threatening" ... just maiming!! I hope they both are able to fully recover.

TY for sharing what happened :)

Anonymous said...

Any idea what happened last evening at the Verizon store on Dewey Avenue? It was taped off with police tape and many police cars on scene.

SCATS said...

To 1:33PM ~~ My best guess would be another break-in or robbery. Seems like the crooks REALLY like these stores.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't OSHA be investigating this accident?

Anonymous said...

This screwup is going to cost GCSD taxpayers a ton.
Failing to provide proper PPE and supervision, Failure to train for high voltage work, Allowing a lock to be cut off, and about 6 other charges go directly to the District.

GCSD must have got a great low bid on the job.
Bet your ass OSHA will be on this like stink on a skunk.

SCATS said...

To 1:36AM ~~ What is PPE? Personal protective equip??

I thought cutting off one of those locks was illegal ... no?

Anonymous said...

Personal Protection Equipment to include appropriate arc flash protection +++ verifying training of the people doing the work.

Illegal depends on who owns the transformer. If GCSD is buying power at Primary Voltage, GCSD may well own the transformers and be responsible for maintaining them. If GCSD owns the transformers, they would still normally have an RG&E lock and a qualified GCSD employee would have a key.

Distribution voltage at the school itself may well be only 480, but that is sufficient to create the arc flash poorly described by the local media.

RG&E has issued literally a trunk load of keys to Qualified Contractors & industrial customers over the years, and they are all listed at Operation Center, or at least were till current owners took over the company.

SCATS said...

To 3:44PM ~~ Media only knows the very few shreds they were fed by GCSD admin. The district doesn't want us knowing what happened in situations like this ;)

Anonymous said...

"Media" is as near worthless as it can be.

Seen any coverage of the tornado that touched down for 6 miles in the Mohawk Valley yesterday afternoon? Of course not, nobody sent the "Media" a press release they could read.

GCSD is in full loss prevention mode. The employee will be limited by Workman Comp laws, but the dullard contractor will clean up collecting from GCSD.

Similar situation back in the 80s in Gates, before the current PPE requirements, unqualified employee of a contractor stuck his fingers into a 480 volt situation. His fingers looked like overcooked hotdogs when he was loaded on a gurney headed for the hospital. He never used his hands again.

GCSD has for years played fast & loose with electrical safety, and this well may be the incident that changes that.

SCATS said...

To 4:13PM ~~ When it comes to SAFETY, GCSD has played fast & loose for years!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Director of Building and Grounds does not know what is going on in his district if this has been going on for years. But, then again the district is full of incompetent administrators.

Anonymous said...

Or as might be another scenario, none but two or so know who is trained, what licensing is required, and whether it was a simple accident, or more nefariously, a criminal act.

Are any commenters here part of PESH, or are you advocating from the blind position of OSHA who has no standing in this incident?

SCATS said...

To 6:49PM ~~ Yes, of course PESH covers public employees, not OSHA.

If the lock was cut, and I suspect the report that it was is accurate, then this was no "accident" but an awful act of complete incompetance.