Sunday, December 02, 2012

"To Serve & Protect": NYPD vs GPD


NYPD Officer Larry DePrimo buys shoes & socks for homeless man, using his own money and expecting no recognition.
Photo: Jennifer Foster of Florence, AZ was visiting Times Square with her husband Nov. 14 when they saw a shoeless man asking for change. She writes, “Right when I was about to approach, one of your officers came up behind him. The officer said, ‘I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let’s put them on and take care of you.’ The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man. The officer expected NOTHING in return and did not know I was watching*. I have been in law enforcement for 17 years. I was never so impressed in my life. I did not get the officer’s name. It is important, I think, for all of us to remember the real reason we are in this line of work. The reminder this officer gave to our profession in his presentation of human kindness has not been lost on myself or any of the Arizona law enforcement officials with whom this story has been shared.”
Our thanks to the Fosters for their attention and appreciation, and especially to this officer, who remains anonymous.  

Send us your NYPD snapshots via Facebook message, and/or email the Department through http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mailnypd.html.

*image cropped from the distance at which it was taken
Jennifer Foster/NYPD Facebook Page


SCATS ~~Greece New York cops take kids shopping ("Shop With A Cop"), making it a media/publicity event after sending out fundraiser letters raising money to pay for their "generosity." So tell me, which cops have a better understanding of the meaning of "To Serve & Protect" ?
  


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad, but true. Someone should send this link to the Chief.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gesture by this officer! I wonder how many other random acts of kindness are done by our finest that never get sen or reported. Too bad that we only hear about the slip-ups, the errors in judgement, the shady acts.

SCATS said...

To 9:51AM ~~ Feel free to do so ;) I suspect he might already be reading (or having someone else report to him about what's posted.)

To 10:58AM ~~ The fact that we only hear the "bad news" MIGHT mean these sorts of gestures don't happen in this town ... we do get lots of media hype when cops, firefighters, teachers, etc. spend other people's money or collect donations made by the greater community.

Nothing annoys me more than reading someone's ad on craigslist begging for donations of some sort so that THEY can "do good." If you have to ask me for a handout so that you can "do good" then maybe you need to revisit the dictionary for the real definition of "charity".

Anonymous said...

10:58 AM sounds like the Chief or his officers posted. LOL

GPD using computers on tax payer time. Isn't this a crime????

Anonymous said...

Nope. I was 10:58 and I am just a retired taxpayer

Anonymous said...

Do you know what officers do on thier own?? I sure don't!

(I quit; it has gotten almost imposible to prove I am not a robot)

SCATS said...

To 5:18AM ~~ Let's see ... some cruise social media sites to find someone to hook-up with who is half their age ... Take them out and ply them with drinks ... get caught for illegally providing alcohol to a minor ... then there are those boxing matches that end abruptly with the guy from RPD injured and off the job to recover ... the taxpayer funded party in the park donated by Maggie for NGN members and "neighborhood watch groups" with helicopters, horses, motorcycles and all sorts of hoopla ...

Anonymous said...

What's next a GPD Facebook page??

SCATS said...

Pssst! They already have at least a couple that I'm aware of, 1:40PM ;)