Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Lesson In How NOT To Fundraise By Olympia Boosters

Late yesterday afternoon, I pulled into Olympia High School after seeing the sign on Maiden Ln. advertising their Sticky Lips BBQ dinner fundraiser for the girl's soccer team. I had to drive all the way up to the building to catch sight of the huge BBQ grill next to the driveway. In the pouring rain, it was attended by a lone man with a canopy over his head to keep him dry. 

I lowered my window and asked him if I could buy a meal. He pointed to the parking lot and said I needed to park the car over there. Then he pointed to the door by the auditorium and said I had to go in over there to pay and get served.

I was very surprised by this news. Why? Because I've been to similar fundraisers held at the other high schools before, some even in the rain. None required the customer to get soaked to the bone to spend their money! The other schools all had parents in rain slickers taking orders and money as the customers drove through and received their dinners. 

I wonder if Olympia's fundraiser was as successful as it might have been? I also wonder if Olympia's parent volunteers for this event feel they are some sort of primadonnas who can't go the extra mile for a cause they supposedly believe in ... ? I know they didn't get my money. How many others left without buying a dinner because they just couldn't get past the amount of effort needed to part with their money? I'm betting it was more than a few.
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't miss anything in passing on the overpriced soggy bbq, SCATS. Where do these booster groups get the idea that by including a bottle of water donated by Wegmans or Walmart is worth an extra $2 on cost?

Anonymous said...

FUNDRAISER - what part of that don't you get 1:03?

SCATS said...

You make a good point 6:51PM . In Greece, fundraiser = ripoff!

Especially if it involves a school ;)

Anonymous said...

Poor baby got wet? Did you help raise funds so that SCATS has a lower school tax?

SCATS said...

To 9:05PM ~~ Don't worry about my taxes. I fought Town Hall. I got rewarded ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SCATS said...

BLOG Administration deleted the previous posting due to name-calling.

FYI, the fundraiser isn't the issue I raised here. The issue is how lazy and inconsiderate the Olympia parents who were doing the fundraiser were - staying dry inside while inconveniencing the people they expected to open their wallets. It didn't happen that way at the other high schools ;)