Sunday, November 15, 2009

Raising Senior Exemption To Cost Extra $10/Year For Nonexempted Parcels

  
GCSD plans January hearing on raising senior income limits

"We don't have all the facts yet, but it seemed to be time to at least talk about it." ~~ BOE Pres. Patrick Tydings

"How do I tell people we have money to give a spaghetti sauce company a break, but not to give seniors citizens a break?" ~~ Frank Oberg

STORY

SCATS ~~ Gee, Pat ... what difference does it make if you get all the facts then ignore half of them anyway? And Mr. Oberg, I'm awaiting an answer for that very question! I'm sure the BOE won't vote without answering it ;) I'd like to know the average assessed value of the 1300 parcels involved in the exemption program.

From my email, more questions are raised:

Lou:
The article in today's D+C was interesting and let me offer you a great big thank you for putting $10 figure out there. As you know I have been involved in this for years and one of the questions I have always asked and never been answered is 'what is the cost' AKA how in gods name can 'reductions' be approved for some without knowing the 'cost' to others.

Lou, that has NEVER been done before - again thank you.

Now that we have 'that' figure of what the 'increase' will for others will be we must answer 2 more questions.

What is the cost to the 'others' for the 'whole' program?

Because as you know the STAR reduction is affected by this program AKA the amount of STAR reimbursement from the state is less because of this program - what is that figure?

Feel free to share this e-mail with any and all.

Charlie Hubbard (775-6015 or 581-0049)
 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just looked up the assessment of the people complaining, it's over $171,000 and I am supposed to pay some of their taxes? Am I reading this right? If so some board members have some explaining to do.

SCATS said...

To 12:15PM ~~ That's why I said I would like to know the average assessed value of the 1280+ homes in the program.

If I recall correctly, Charlie Hubbard looked into some of this indepth when he was on the BOE and there are homes valued at $250K+ that pay NOTHING!

In a previous BLOG, I stated that if I can't afford to pay my share of the tax bill, I'd be forced to downsize. I think a lot of these seniors need to downsize to afford their homes. If you can't afford the taxes, then you probably can't afford the maintenance and heat on a home that has 3+ bedrooms and 2000 sq ft. It's not my job to pay their taxes so they can leave "a legacy" for their children.

Anonymous said...

Maybe some people ought to get off their dead a##es and start questioning the spending going on that drives the tax increases.
It also probably wouldn't hurt if they voted once in a while.

SCATS said...

To 12:54PM ~~ I agree. Unfortunately, previous BOEs have shown us our votes don't really count ... unless it's a "no" vote and by a huge margin, but the effects of that wear off, too.

Anonymous said...

I looked up Pavone's tax records too. He lives in a neighborhood with some pricier housing. Might I suggest a little starter home in the second ward to resolve Mr. Pavone's affordability issues?

Anonymous said...

Is this the same Pavone family that owns sail on carpets?

Anonymous said...

While the D&C did a decent job on the story of the Senior Exemptions, the reporter left out the most important part.......What is the assessed value of the home of the person complaining about being $200 over his 'Senior" exemption? Living in a home assessed at over $171,000 does not elicit one ounce of sympathy from me. These whiners are a joke. If you can't afford to pay taxes on a home valued at $171,000 then downsize! That is what those of us who are not "Seniors" would have to do.

A letter to the editor of the D&C should be in order.

SCATS said...

To 6:45AM ~~ I agree 100%!! Maybe a petition to the BOE is in order. I don't think they care about an editorial so much as a paper with hundreds of signatures on it ;)

Anonymous said...

"How do I tell people we have money to give a spaghetti sauce company a break, but not to give seniors citizens a break?" ~~ Frank Oberg

"How do you tell people they have to pay to ship the district's kids anywhere in the district they want to go, but not tell them the cost or the educational benefit?" --
Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Frank's circular logic would have us all geting some kind of welfair eventually.

Spaghetti logic at work once again!

Anonymous said...

When I see and hear elected officials who THINK they and only they know who is in need of finacial help, I find that scary.
I have lived next to people over 20 years and I have no idea their worth but some politician thinks they know ?????????? This is nothing more than politicians wanting to use OUR money to make THEM look important.

SCATS said...

Tsk, tsk! It sounds like some of you don't trust your elected officials! The only trouble I have with that is we keep re-electing them!