Friday, July 24, 2009

Why I Loathe Party Politics ... And How I'm Going To Handle It

PLEASE READ ...

It's election year in our scandal-ridden 'burb (backroom meetings, a jailed assessor, a corrupt police dept. and a one-party town govt. that is taking blame for it all). Bad news seems to be a daily reality in Greece these days. While most elections bring up some heated exchanges, the months leading up to November 2009 are looking to be more contentious than most. The Democrats want to "sweep" away the problems by winning seats (I hope they don't sweep anything under the carpet ~ GCSD has already filled that space!). The Republicans appear to be ignoring the issues and favoring personal attacks to deflect their involvement (a very dysfunctional response). The internal investigation into GPD isn't going to address all the things people have on their minds or want fixed, and so far, discussion seems to be a dirty word to the party in charge.

Given this backdrop, finger-pointing, name-calling, mud-slinging and generally disrespectful behavior is already a common occurence. People are calling each other "Democrat" or "Republican" or "liar" just like little kids on a school bus call each other "retarded." If it weren't so immature and irresponsible given the seriousness of what we're facing (Auberger's characterization), it might be amusing. Sadly, it's not. Worse yet, it accomplishes
N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

I'm not going to back away from debating some of the hot-button issues on here, because I'd like Greece to be known as something more than the "Dysfunction Junction" it's become. Changing the status quo is required. It's a dirty job, but I'm convinced it MUST be done. To do it will likely require putting some fresh faces into office to bring a measure of balance to a one-party system that has failed us in numerous ways. To me, it's NOT ABOUT YOUR PARTY AFFILIATION. It's about WHAT YOU PLAN TO DO DIFFERENTLY. I suggest you folks try to remember that when you write your comments.

To that end, discussion of hot issues is encouraged, BUT for the most part, there is seldom a need to bring up party affiliations, union affiliation, personal appearance/characteristics, attacks on family members of those running for office, attacks on me while I'm trying to moderate this foodfight, etc. I think most of you know what is in good taste and what isn't. When in doubt, I suggest you leave it out.

I will delete some comments, if needed. I will edit some others. I will use Comment Moderation as I see fit. I will sometimes end a thread if it seems to be going nowhere that's productive (my call). I will "reject" comments that are unfit to post. Will it seem subjective at times? Possibly. But I'll do my best. If you do yours, it won't be an issue ;)

13 comments:

SCATS said...

BLOG Administration rejected a "rant" directed at SCATS.

Graehaven said...

I'd like to see a concerted effort/movement to eliminate the present controlling parties from all levels of our local government. The Dems and Repubs are BOTH broken and corrupt. I'd like to see either INDEPENDENTS or LIBERTARIANS/CONSERVATIVES in offices instead. Will it happen? No. Too many residents are hung up on the Dems and Repubs.

Another thing that NEEDS to happen, regardless of party in office: STOP spending money! That should be your FIRST promise/platform item. We're spending too much and it WILL stop. Second, STOP spending money! (Because a politician usually must be told more than once.) Third, CUT THE BUDGET by at least 20 percent.....immediately! We've all had to do it as citizens - you do it too at the government level. Don't apologize about it, don't whine about it....just frikin' do it!

Chances of the above being accomplished any time soon? ZERO percent. Chance of the people being continually metaphorically (financially) raped by our government? 100 percent.

Anonymous said...

So there won't be favoritism to one particular party and both sides will be able to refer to the candidates with cute little names equally? Rumors against both sides will be allowed? And unproven accusations can be thrown equally? Or is none of this allowed at all.

SCATS said...

BLOG Administration rejected an insult directed at SCATS.

To 10:32AM ~~ I'm not sure what you characterize as favoritism. What I can tell you is that certain factual things have been shared with me that raise questions. If they are all about people connected by one party or the other doesn't change the facts. Since Republicans have complete control over the Greece Town Govt. and since it has been this way for a very long time and since they are suddenly up to their eyeballs in scandals and apparent corruption, it seems logical to believe there might be a tad more to uncover for discussion about them than the Democrats who don't hold a seat and haven't for awhile.

There is a huge difference between saying that John Auberger is incompetent as Supervisor demonstrated by how he runs GPD, and saying that Dan Maloney is a union xxxxx who brought down General Motors. Get it?

Anonymous said...

This sounds good SCATS. Does that mean that only stories given to you by either campaign that are supported by facts will go up?

And will the same go for comments? If it's just a smear or supportive facts aren't included, it doesn't fly? That'd be a good change.

RE: "There is a huge difference between saying that John Auberger is incompetent as Supervisor demonstrated by how he runs GPD"

I must admit that I've NEVER seen such a politely worded opinion about Auberger presented here.

Will this be the new way people will have to pharse comments too? This'd be good too.

It's been getting way too nasty. Sounds like it's gonna get beter going forward though. Again, good.

Anonymous said...

Man am I glad I live in Greece where the cops only drive drunk and exchange sex for favors.
Other places, like Denver are far more dangerous.
"AURORA, Colo. --


A Denver police officer assigned to Denver International Airport was on administrative leave Tuesday after employees at an Aurora McDonald's said he pulled a gun on them when his order wasn't filled fast enough.

The incident was reported in May, when Derrick Curtis Saunders, 29, ordered food at the restaurant at 18181 E. Hampden Ave.

According to employees, Saunders was with another police officer in the drive-through line when Saunders became impatient and drew his weapon on them.

Saunders was formally charged with menacing, prohibited use of a weapon, reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct, the Aurora Police Department said.

A booking photo of Saunders was not released by Aurora police.

He has been a Denver police officer since 2007, and has been on administrative leave for the past month, Denver police said."

Both candidates for Greece Supervisor are wonderful people who regularly attend church, and I don't know which one I will vote for. I think I'll look into how much each contributes at church.

SCATS said...

To 8:12PM ~~ Each comment has to be reviewed and decided upon individually. Written communications are often open for interpretation. I prefer to post as many comments as possible. I'm not here to stifle discussion, but promote it (hopefully). I'm looking for a modicum of restraint by all.

Anonymous said...

To 10:46: Why don't you arrange to have them both stand on the pulpit and see which one get hit by a lightning bolt.

Anonymous said...

SCATS said...
""To 8:12PM ~~ Each comment has to be reviewed and decided upon individually. Written communications are often open for interpretation. I prefer to post as many comments as possible. I'm not here to stifle discussion, but promote it (hopefully). I'm looking for a modicum of restraint by all.""

You tell em SCATS.

Nothing like DROLL approved by a moderator to make a conversation roll right along.

"To 10:46: Why don't you arrange to have them both stand on the pulpit and see which one get hit by a lightning bolt."

What a magnificent idea. Since I'm not conversant with any Church willing to risk the roof, how about some rental scaffolding, and a few planks. We could even put a beam across the top and rig both candidates with safety ropes, just in case. I know of a wonderful knott for just such a purpose, and I'll happily provide rope guaranteed not to break or chafe.

SCATS said...

To 2:41AM ~~ My response to 8:12PM was intended to be nebulous, since my impression of 8:12's questions was an attempt to box me in ;) If either of you have paid attention to all the other things I've written on the topic, you should have a pretty good idea of what will fly and what won't. If you didn't pay attention, feel free to review or do like a HS student who doesn't feel like studying before the quiz, take your chances.

Re 12:53AM's suggestion & 2:41AM's offer ~~ Might I offer them a chance to sit on the roof of A-PAC during an approaching super cell T-storm (like last evening's)? If the lightning doesn't get 'em, the lousy construction might ;)

Anonymous said...

Touche Scats! That's why they pay you the big bucks around here :)

SCATS said...

To 12:25PM ~~ Thanks! By the way, were you the person who previously suggested my salary should be doubled? LOL

Anonymous said...

Done.