As time passes by, the list of things that are no longer taught in school lengthens accordingly. The problem is, what skills/knowledge replaces these abandoned things is something of a mystery.
To get an understanding of how our students spend their school day, please ...
HELP US COMPILE THESE LISTS:*
THINGS NO LONGER TAUGHT IN SCHOOL
- State capitols
- Learning From Failure!
- Location of States, Major Geographic Features, at least for the USA!
- Cursive writing
- Writing/Using An Outline
- Diagramming Sentences/Basics of Grammar
- Patriotism/Patriotic Songs
- Roman Numerals
- Keeping A Checkbook
- Common Sense!
THINGS ON THE 'ENDANGERED' LIST
- Telling Time Using A Clockface
- Math Drills
- Counting Back Change
- Vocabulary Building
- The Constitution & Its Meaning/Application
- How To Focus
THINGS THEY SHOULD BE TEACHING, BUT DON'T
- PHONICS !!!!!!!
- Money Management (And Establishing/Keeping Good credit)
- How To Think
- How To Communicate Effectively
- Time Management
- Basic First Aid
- Finding A Job
- Mediation of Basic Differences
* We're not interested in hearing about exceptions to the norm. We're sure there's plenty of them. We're looking for patterns of change.